Reporting to and working with the Centre Manager, the Laboratory Technician’s main role is to maintain the high clinical standards expected by MSI and actively work to promote the clinic and contribute to improved financial performance.
It is particularly important that the post holder is able to sustain a close and collaborative partnership with operational staff in the support office and field, so that project deliverables remain a focus of operational activities. This post holder will be able to work productively with the Research, Monitoring & Evaluation, Operations and Social Franchising teams to ensure that programme activities serve the indicators in MSU’s M&E framework
1. Client Centred: dedicated to our clients and work tirelessly to deliver high quality, high impact services that meet clients’ individual requirements.
2. Courageous: Have the courage to push boundaries, make tough decisions and challenge others in line with our mission.
3. Mission Driven: With unwavering commitment, we exist to empower women and men to have children by choice, not chance.
4. Accountable: Ownership of our actions and focus on results, ensuring long term sustainability and increasing the impact of the Partnership.
Marie Stopes Uganda is an NGO registered in Uganda. We are affiliated to Marie Stopes International. Together we deliver post abortion care, quality sexual and reproductive health care and family planning to millions of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable women. We want to make sure that women have a choice when it comes to having children and that death by unsafe abortion is reduced.
The primary responsibility of this role is to further our Goal: THE PREVENTION OF UNWANTED BIRTHS and its mission of ensuring the individual’s right to: CHILDREN BY CHOICE NOT CHANCE
Key Responsibilities Measure
This post has four key responsibilities and related deliverables:
1. Client care
2. Supplies Management
3. Budgetary control
4. Technical experience
5. Records keeping and reporting
6. Promotional and External relations Activities
7. Team development
8. Professional and Ethical Conduct:
• Provide comprehensive laboratory services to centre clients.
• Taking necessary steps to ensure that all centre clients are treated with sensitivity, respect, and consideration.
• Promptly refer clients to the Centre Manager if complaints are raised • Level of professionalism maintained in fostering MSU’s image as a high-quality health service provider with skilled staff.
• In liaison with the Centre Manager, ensures that adequate, but not excessive stocks are maintained.
• Ensure that Lab stock cards are up-dated regularly.
• Ensures that appropriate spare equipment (e.g. bulbs for microscope, slides, test tubes) is maintained at the centre to avoid inconveniencing clients.
• Ensure that the Centre Manager is alerted in a timely manner of expiring reagents to allow for timely notice to Support Office and transfer to another centre for usage. • Level of professionalism maintained in fostering MSU’s image as a high-quality health service provider with skilled staff.
• Based on laboratory request form and recorded client notes, be able to conduct and report on the tests such as: Blood slide for malaria, film commentary, Urinalysis, Microscopy (stool, urine, HVS swabs), occult blood (stool), white cell count, blood grouping, clotting time, ESR, widal tests, VDRL/RPR, HB, Gram Stain, Brucella test, HCG test, Sickling Test, blood sugar, semen analysis, sputum AAFB, HIV rapid tests AND any other relevant tests.
• Ensure that the highest standards of laboratory services are provided to clients as per AMREF, MOH and MSI guidelines.
• Take responsibility and ensure that their laboratory comply with Infection Prevention Guidelines i.e.
a. Correct and orderly storage of reagents and supplies
b. Correct and timely decontamination procedures in place and implemented at all times
c. Correct medical waste management (sorting out general waste and, contaminated waste and sharps correctly)
d. Disposable gloves are worn at appropriate times by the Laboratory Technician
e. Clean and tidy laboratory is including all equipment such as microscope, centrifuge, and fridge, bench-top /sink area at all times.
• Ensure the reagents are correctly transported and stored (including maintenance of cold chain for refrigerated reagents)
• Ensure a warm and attractive laboratory environment for clients.
• Ensure that the laboratory is clean, neat and tidy at all times. • No incidents of theft, wastage or stock outs of supplies
• Commitment to continued technical and personal development
• Correct storage / covering of microscope & centrifuge when not in use (disconnect form power) and ensuring there is proper safety procedures used with laboratory equipment
• Ensuring quality control on all day- to –day laboratory test procedures
Record Keeping and Reporting:
• Ensure that laboratory test orders and results for company clients are properly recorded on the claim forms.
• Ensure that the laboratory test orders and results for all other clients are clearly and properly recorded
• Ensure that the laboratory registers are correctly and neatly completed (MSU clients, VCT & Outside Contract Work etc)
• Ensure that timely monthly laboratory reports are forwarded to the Centre Manager.
• Monitor fridge temperature and record the figures (temperature inside fridge) on a daily basis
• Timely and accurate recording and submission of results to medical staff and Centre Manager accordingly. • Infection Prevention protocols in place in the laboratory and correctly followed
• Willingness and ability to undertake multitasking and assist clinical staff with all aspects of MSU activities as appropriate
In liaison with the Centre Manager:
• Takes responsibility for costs in the laboratory to be contained within the approved annual budget.
• Strives for income from laboratory services to meet or exceed budgeted targets, including providing contract laboratory services for non MSU clients to improve sustainability of laboratory service provision.
• Community Outreach: The laboratory technician shall participate on community outreach activities as directed by the Centre Manager. This may include mobile VCT services, and other networking activities.
• Promotion: Fully participates on planned promotional activities as required and directed by the Centre Manager.
• Working in consultation with the Centre Manager towards the centre targets set by the organisation
• Perform any other duties as required by the Centre Manager. (Teamwork)
Professional and Ethical Conduct:
• MSU laboratory technicians are expected to observe the relevant code of conduct for allied health professionals in Uganda in regard to professional and ethical conduct.
• All laboratory services provided must be with the highest standard and safety to clients and staff. • Excellent timekeeping and time management with assigned duties
• Takes responsibility for costs in the laboratory to be contained within the approved annual budget.
• Strives for income from laboratory services to meet or exceed budgeted targets, including providing contract laboratory services for non MSU clients to improve sustainability of laboratory service provision. 1. Competent management of emergencies and referrals.
2. Frequency of updates to Team members about new drugs and SRH.
3. Quality of clinical updates imparted to staff.
• Community Outreach: The laboratory technician shall participate on community outreach activities as directed by the Centre Manager. This may include mobile VCT services, and other networking activities. 4. Evidence of Client Referral Network Developed.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes
• Diploma in Medical Laboratory Techniques from a recognized institution
• Full registration with Allied Health Professionals Council
• Ability to perform laboratory procedures efficiently and effectively to AMREF, and MOH standards
• Knowledge of Family Planning
• Ability to work in deadline driven/results orientated atmospheres
• Strong people management skills
Attitude / Motivation:
• Keen to pursue personal development
• Strong commitment to the goal and vision of MSU
• Results driven
• Pro choice
• Initiative: Thinking ahead and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution
In this role, you must predict quality issues that might arise and plan to address them
You will take initiative with your team and across the CMT to realise efficiencies and impact
• Innovative: Thinking creatively so that ideas generated create a positive outcome
In this role creativity will be needed to inspire service providers to achieve results across a range of varied contexts
• Effective Communication: Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise.
In this role your team will feel listened to, well informed, know what they should be doing through the efficient use of management time
• Team Player: Working as part of a team by being supportive, flexible and showing respect for each other
The role is part of the CMT and together with them takes responsibility for the delivery of MSU’s strategic plan
Working together is essential in achieving results
• Responsive Being responsive to changing priorities and demands
Your plan will be clearly made out and changes will be agreed and reported regularly and on time
• Working Efficiently: Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met
As part of the CMT and in order to meet the needs of contractual obligations to investors/donors your work will be clear accountable and effective
• Sharing Information: Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality
Timely action will be taken on information regarding your areas of responsibility
• Focus on Learning: Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
This post-holder must actively seek knowledge that can be shared and keep the teams up to date on latest views
Commitment: Awareness and understanding of goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
• Driven: Drive and determination to deliver results
Regular reporting will indicate ability to conceive, design and deliver on results
• Accountable: Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate
• Embracing Change: Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
• Motivated: Motivation towards achieving quality results to maximise potential
How to apply
Please visit the recruitment page to apply for this job
Closing date: September 12,2022
CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING JOB LINKS TO SEE THE JOB DETAILS AND HOW TO APPLY: Fleet Management Assistant Monitoring and...Apply For This Job
Company Description EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC) is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC...Apply For This Job
Full-time, 40 hours per week over 5 days Location: Uganda – Rubirizi, Mitooma, Bushenyi, Sheema, Buhweju, Ibanda, Kiruhura, Ntungamo, Isingiro,...Apply For This Job
Full-time, 40 hours per week over 5 days Location: Mbarara About Ripple Effect (the new name for Send a Cow)...Apply For This Job
Job Title: Finance Assistant Organisation: Medical Teams International (MTI) Duty Station: Uganda About Medical Teams International (MTI): Medical Teams International is...Apply For This Job
BRAC is an award-winning international non-governmental development organization, with the vision of a world free from all forms of exploitation...Apply For This Job