BRAC is an award-winning international non-governmental development organization, with the vision of a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination, where everyone has the opportunity to realize their potential. BRAC is a leader in developing and implementing cost-effective, evidence based programs to assist poor and disadvantaged communities in low income countries, including in conflict-prone and post-disaster settings. It is an organization of and for the people of the Global South, pioneering new development and social enterprise approaches to equip communities to achieve prosperity. As well as being the world’s biggest NGO by number of staff and people directly reached, BRAC has regularly been ranked the number one NGO in the world by the Geneva-based NGO Advisor, an independent organization committed to highlighting innovation, impact and governance in the non-profit sector. BRAC retained the top spot in 2020 among the top 500 NGOs for the fifth consecutive year.
BRAC was founded in Bangladesh in 1972 by Sir Fazle Hasan Abed. It started its first programme outside of Bangladesh in Afghanistan in 2002, and has since reached millions of people in 11 countries in Asia and Africa. BRAC has a holistic approach to development that uses a wide array of programmes and social enterprises, including in microfinance, education, health, agriculture, gender and human rights. BRAC believes that every person has inherent potential, and when an enabling environment is created and that potential is unleashed, even the poorest can become agents of positive change in their own lives, for their families and their communities.
BRAC Uganda NGO started operations in Uganda in 2006. Through its unparalleled network of branches across the country, BRAC Uganda creates large scale, positive changes though a holistic and integrated set of programmes in Agriculture, Food Security and Livelihood (AFSL), Health, Education & youth Empowerment, Ultra-poor graduation (UPG), Emergence Preparedness & Response and a Seed Social Enterprise. BRAC Uganda Country Office is located at Plot 880, Heritage Road, Nsambya, Kampala.
About the AIM Programme In 2022, the MasterCard Foundation in partnership with BRAC International (BI) will be announcing an initiative that will create a positive and measurable impact for 1.2 million adolescent girls and young women and 9.5 million people across seven countries in East and West Africa, including Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, and Uganda.
There is mounting urgency to support adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) living in poverty, which has been further amplified by the global pandemic. Through this partnership, scalable economic development approaches will be delivered in communities to foster the agency and voice of AGYW. They will have the opportunity to fulfill their aspirations, achieve sustainable livelihoods, and engage in advocacy issues. BRAC International will implement an integrated and holistic model to address the various life cycles of a young woman living in poverty, ensuring she is able to transition safely from adolescence to adulthood. She will be equipped with the appropriate skills, tools, and access to finance to effectively exercise her agency and build a fulfilling and productive livelihood.
BRAC International is seeking applications from competent, dynamic and selfmotivated individuals to fill the following positions in Uganda.
Program Manager, Education & Youth Empowerment (01 Position)
About the Education & Youth Empowerment Programme
BRAC Uganda Education & Youth Empowerment Program promotes the social and economic education and empowerment of women and girls in alleviation of poverty. The program achieves its objectives through various projects like Technical Vocational Training (TVET), Early Childhood Development (ECD) and Youth Empowerment, Empowerment & Livelihood for Adolescents (ELA+). GOAL Project, Albertine Region Sustainable Development Project (ARSDP), Education, BRAC Girls Talk project, ELA is school Project and Empowerment and Life skills for Adolescent girls and Young Children (EELAY). ECD Programme was launched in December, 2010 and has since then grown in terms of size and coverage with a shift in the approaches from community to school based and traditional teaching to play based learning known as ‘play labs’. The ECD programing covers the districts of Luwero, Wakiso, Kampala, Madi-Okollo and Terego. BRAC’s Play Lab is a low-cost, high-quality, play-based model to promote the developmental outcomes of children ages 3-5 living in poverty in Uganda.
BRAC’s Youth Empowerment programme is designed to provide Social Empowerment and Protection to adolescent girls and boys from poor households to overcome their social barriers, and become social agents of change in their families and communities. The program enables adolescent girls, boys and young women and men to fulfil their full potential and break the cycle of poverty through mentorship, life skills, and livelihood opportunities.
The Program Manager Education and Youth empowerment provides strategic leadership, direction and management of the Education and youth empowerment program of BRAC Uganda; including ensuring that the program has a strategy, an annual operating plan (AOP) and quality activity implementation according to the vision, mission, values, policies, protocols and standards of BRAC to build a sustainable Education and youth development program operation. S/he is expected to work closely with the Project Coordinators to fulfill the duties of this position, in addition to building connections with local, regional and national partners, and skilled professionals with an eye towards future collaboration to initiate new projects in the.
• Strategic and quality planning, development and management of the Education and Youth empowerment program with adherence to the monitoring system.
• Ensure financial viability of the Education and youth empowerment program, strategic partnerships and resource mobilization as well as compliance to the audit guidelines.
• Boost knowledge management, communication and visibility of the Education and youth empowerment program.
• Attract, build and manage highly motivated, competent and result oriented staff and leaders for effective delivery in the education and youth empowerment program Manage the implementation of BRAC policies including an effective safeguarding policy Any other duties as may be assigned by your supervisor
• Ensure the safety of team members from any harm, abuse, neglect, harassment and exploitation to achieve the program’s goals on safeguarding implementation
• Act as a key source of support, guidance and expertise on safeguarding for establishing a safe working environment
• Practice, promote and endorse the issues of safeguarding policy among team members and ensure the implementation of safeguarding standards in every course of action
• Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place and encourage others to do the same
• Master’s degree in Education/ Social sciences/ Development studies / in a related field.
• A Post graduate qualification in relevant field such as project planning and Management/ Monitoring and Evaluation/ Education planning and Management is an added advantage.
Skills And Competencies
• Excellent monitoring, budgeting, project planning and project design and development as well as proposal writing skills.
• Ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment with minimum disruptions.
• Ability to create and sustain long term partnerships with other development actors including other international agencies, donors, and government.
• Excellent communication skills (both written and spoken) including report writing and oral presentations.
• Ability to work under minimum supervision in a multicultural and diverse environment and excellent attention to detail and Computer skills Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of BRAC
At least 5 years’ work experience in an education & youth empowerment related field, 3 of which should be in a managerial role in the development sector or with INGOs & Multilaterals.
Employment Type: Contractual
Job Location: Country Office, Nsambya
Job application procedure
Persons with disabilities and women are encouraged to apply. If you feel you are the right match for the above-mentioned position, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
Candidates need to email their CV with a letter of interest mentioning educational level, years of experience, current and expected salary to email@example.com
Please mention the name of the position in the subject bar.
Only complete applications will be accepted and shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 11 September 2022
NOTE: BRAC Uganda doesn’t charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process from the applicants. Should you have any doubts about the authenticity of any communication purportedly on behalf of BRAC Uganda please send us an email before taking any further action in relation to the issue at hand.
BRAC is committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share the same commitment. We believe every stakeholder and every member of the communities we work with has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation – regardless of age, race, religion, and gender, status as an individual with a disability or ethnic origin. T herefore, our recruitment process includes extensive reference and background checks, self-disclosure of prior issues regarding sexual or other misconduct and criminal records and our values are a part of our Performance Management System
BRAC is an equal opportunities employer.
Purpose: Reporting to and working with the Hospital Manager, the Service Provider’s main role is to maintain the high clinical...Apply For This Job
Context and background The International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) is an independent non-profit organization that combines innovative research, market systems...Apply For This Job
Job Title: Advocacy Officer Organization: Shared Action Africa Project: Arising for Reproductive Justice for Refugee Girls Location: Nakivale and Oruchinga Refugee Settlements, Uganda...Apply For This Job
Description The position holder will support the Communications function of Mildmay Uganda to improve the public perception and increased awareness...Apply For This Job
Job Title: Senior Manager Human Resources and Administration (1 Vacancy) a.Reports to: Executive Director b. Supervises: Manager Human Resources, Manager...Apply For This Job
Description Job Summary: The position holder will work closely with the Fleet Management Coordinator and Senior Finance and Operations Officer to...Apply For This Job