NOTE: WFP DOES NOT SOLICIT FOR FEES OR ANY FORM OF PAYMENT FROM JOB APPLICANTS
WFP is looking for talented people who are committed to joining our efforts to eradicate hunger. It offers unlimited opportunities to grow your professionalism, talent and expertise. Start your journey to be a member of the world-wide effort to eradicate hunger. WFP has a policy of affirmative action for women.
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
WFP delivers food assistance in emergencies and work with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. WFP provides life-saving food assistance and livelihood opportunities to refugees in Uganda. In addition, WFP assists the most vulnerable people in Karamoja with food and nutrition assistance. Finally, WFP works with smallholder farmers and links them to markets.
As Uganda strives to achieve Zero Hunger by 2030 and become a middle-income country by 2040, WFP is also assessing its relevance and repositioning its role in Uganda.
ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE?
We are seeking qualified individuals for the position of Programme Policy Officer (Head of Field Office) to be based in South West Area Office based at Kyangwali & Isingiro Field Offices. Selected candidates will be employed on Fixed Term Contract.
To plan and manage field operations to ensure the effective and efficient deployment of food assistance programmes and use of allocated resources.
1. Effectively manage the Field Office to ensure the continued development of a cohesive and high performing team.
2. Plan and manage WFP field operations within the area of assignment to ensure effective and efficient delivery of food assistance and that daily operational issues are timely resolved to prevent losses or delays.
3. Ensure that allocated resources are used efficiently and are in line with agreed plans, and any deviations are reported to the Area/Country Office.
4. Hold accountability for the security of WFP staff, operations, premises and assets in the Field Office to ensure that WFP security and safety standards are locally set and followed. Actively participate and contribute to the Area Security Management Team (ASMT).
5. Conduct timely monitoring and evaluation of activities and prepare accurate and comprehensive reports on WFP’s operations and performance with regular and timely submission for Area/Country Office review to inform efficient operational planning and decisions.
6. Build effective and collaborative relations with the local authorities and contribute to the expertise sharing and capacity building for effective preparedness and response to food assistance needs.
7. Build partnerships to improve assistance packages, develop and sustain liaison with local government authorities, international and local NGOs, UN agencies, civil societies, beneficiaries and other partners and media engaged in the field of food security.
8. Ensure extensive and frequent presence at project areas, distribution sites and centres.
9. Other as required
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Strategy & Planning||Applies strong understanding of key national and international socio-political issues and the complexity and range of WFP programmes to plan and oversee implementation of programmes in area of responsibility, coordinating and monitoring to ensure effective fulfilment of the area’s needs.|
|Operations||Applies understanding of WFP’s operations within the area of assignment to ensure optimal deployment of food aid and food assistance programmes and the resolution of high impact operational issues that arise.
Demonstrates an in-depth understanding of WFP programmes, supply chain and budgeting principles.
|Resource||Proactively builds profile of WFP within area of responsibility, effectively leveraging this to lead fundraising initiatives. Utilises understanding of WFP structure and delivery model and strong commercial knowledge to effectively develop, manage and control budgets, with frequently limited funding.|
|Diplomacy||Applies negotiation, networking and diplomacy skills to develop, nurture and sustain mutually beneficial external partnerships with local government authorities, international and local NGOs, civil societies, UN agencies, donors, beneficiaries and other partners/ media engaged in the field of food security, to improve assistance packages.
Collaborates with governments and other partners to identify opportunities for food assistance programmes in-line with WFP’s strategic aims locally, and negotiates the optimal approach to delivery against these.
Education: Advanced University degree in Economics, International Development, Social Sciences or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
Language: International Professional: Fluency in English language. Intermediate knowledge in duty station local languages
• Has gained some exposure in field operations, preferably in a hardship duty station or emergency situation.
• Gained broader exposure across areas within a function (i.e. policy, programme etc.).
• Has gained experience managing small to mid-size financial budgets, balancing priorities effectively.
• Has experience leading a small to mid-size team to ensure the effective delivery of objectives.
• Participated in a vendor/government/ partner negotiation within area of focus.
• Participated in a small emergency operation/ development programme.
Friday 18th November 2022
Company Description Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand...Apply For This Job
The African Initiatives for Relief and Development (AIRD) is a non-political, non-religious and non-profit making NGO with Country Programme Offices...Apply For This Job
Position Number:MUWRP/01/11/2022 Position Title: Clinic Administrative Assistant Position Location:Mukono General Hospital. Contract Tenure:6 months with a possibility of extension subject to...Apply For This Job
JOB SUMMARY Reporting to the National Director (ND), the Executive Assistant will be responsible for coordinating the Board affairs. KEY...Apply For This Job
TASO Soroti Regional Project Administrative Assistant (01) Closing date: December 01, 2022, at 4:30 pm Click on the link for Details...Apply For This Job
Position Title: Procurement Officer Reports To: Admin Supervisor Division: Immigration & Refugee Program+ (IRP+) Department: Administration Job Location: Kampala, Uganda Grade Level: Grade 5, Officer, National...Apply For This Job