We seek a world of hope, inclusion, and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live with dignity and security.
CARE works around the globe to save lives, defeat poverty, and achieve social justice.
The Senior Initiative Manager (SIM) is directly responsible for managing “SHE SOARS – Sexual and Reproductive Health & Economic Empowerment Supporting Out of school Adolescent Girls’ Rights and Skills” project. The aim of SHE SOARS is to increase the enjoyment of health-related rights on the part of extremely vulnerable and marginalized women and girls, particularly out-of-school adolescent girls aged between 10 and 19 years old, in Kenya, Uganda, and Zambia. The SIM’s primary responsibility is to provide technical guidance and support to project staff, the implementing partner (IP) and project beneficiaries. The SIM is responsible for the day-to-day management of the project, human resource management, planning, timely and quality implementation of activities in line with the approved proposal and work plans. S/he is responsible for ensuring accurate and timely financial management of the grant in line with the approved budget. The SIM provides oversight on implementation and ensures that the project under his/her management is compliant with CARE Uganda and specific donor rules and regulations. The SIM will manage assets assigned to the project; ensure timely and on spot monitoring, evaluation and reporting. This position reports to the Gender Justice Program Manager and collaborates with all CARE Uganda programs namely Emergency, Livelihoods and Climate Justice. The SIM will keep in contact and coordinate with key strategic partners at national and district levels; CARE Member Partners (CMPs) and line ministries and ensures timely information sharing and collaboration.
Responsibility 1: Overall Project Management and technical direction to the core components of the project (30% of time)
Responsibility 2: Fundraising and Business Viability: Strategically contribute and where possible lead Resource mobilization opportunities (10%)
Responsibility 3: Program Quality and Learning (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability) and Reporting (30%)
Responsibility 4: Team Leadership while paying attention to inclusivity and gender diversity (10%)
– Promote equity and gender transformation in all forms of work.
– Safeguarding project beneficiaries from sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, as well as ensure CARE staff under supervision are aware, have been trained and have signed the code of conduct to uphold the safe guarding policy and are also protected by the same policy.
– Do no harm and have conflict sensitivity through all forms of work.
– Prevent child labour in the managed intervention.
– Practice a behavior that is consistent with CARE’s core values and promotion of gender equity and diversity goals.
– Play a leadership role in identifying and implementing initiatives that enhance CARE’s commitment to gender and diversity.
– Ensure that CARE Safeguarding policies and procedures are adhered to by all and the staff that s/he supervisors both directly or indirectly.
– Ensure that staff and related personnel under your jurisdiction are familiar with the following organizational policies and procedures and can identify when needed how these may have been breached: The CI Safeguarding Policy, Protection from Sexual Harassment, Exploitation and Abuse and Child Abuse, The anti-discrimination and harassment policy, The code of conduct and the organizations Values.
Responsibility 5: Strategic Positioning of CARE Uganda to internal and external stakeholders (5%)
– Stakeholder coordination meetings to harmonize activities with others.
– Other high profile events (e.g. national events) and networking opportunities.
– Taking opportunities to promote CARE in the communities where it operates, including displaying any promotional material as appropriate.
Responsibility 6: Any other duties (5%)
As appropriately assigned.
Relationships and Collaboration
This is a middle level management position in CARE and it is therefore important that the position holder exercises both sensitivity and responsiveness to the needs of the program, staff and partners, as well as the mission, program directions, policies, procedure and core values of CARE International. S/he will have close and joint planning, coordination and collaboration with Gender Justice and other CARE Program staff (Emergency, Livelihoods and Climate Justice), and implementing partners. In addition, collaboration will be required with government (Local government authorities, National line ministries) and non-governmental counterparts (INGOs) and Private Sector stakeholders. The SIM will directly supervise staff assigned to project. S/he will coordinate relevant activities of the IP with other CARE projects when relevant.
The position is based in Kampala CARE Office with 75% of the time spent on travels to Arua/West Nile and South Western Uganda for effective field presence and coordination with various stakeholders. At field level, the SIM will liaise with partners, local government, district health officers, Office of the Prime Minister, and stakeholders within the area of operation. It is essential that the SIM maintains a close effective presence at field level to ensure proper management, supervision, guidance and leadership on activities.
Minimum Qualification and experience:
The SIM will have a suitable combination of experience and relevant training in the following technical and programmatic requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in Clinical Medicine, Nursing, Midwifery, Public Health, Social Sciences, Gender or related field (A formal qualification in a medical field is a MUST and a relevant Master degree is PREFERRED)
Closing date: September 08,2022
African Initiatives for Relief and Development (AIRD) is a non-political, non-religious and a not-for-profit non-governmental organization. AIRD was established in...Apply For This Job
Description Job Summary: The position holder will work closely with the Fleet Management Coordinator and Senior Finance and Operations Officer to...Apply For This Job
General Background The overarching goal of Accelerated Breeding Imitative (ABI) and of Genetic Innovation (GI) Action Area of the OneCGIAR...Apply For This Job
About Catholic Relief Services: Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist...Apply For This Job
BRAC is an award-winning international non-governmental development organization, with the vision of a world free from all forms of exploitation...Apply For This Job
Organizational Setting In order to promote the use of a systemic approach and mobilize action towards food systems transformation to...Apply For This Job